Burnaby Elementary Schools
Study Alongside Canadian Students
International students at the elementary level (ages 5 to 12 years) have the opportunity to study alongside Canadian students. Students are integrated into regular classrooms and study a variety of subjects:
- Language Arts,
- Social Studies,
- Fine Arts (Music, Art, Drama) and
- Physical Education.
As well students participate in a number of extracurricular activities.
Specialized Support for International Students
International students receive additional intensive English language training when necessary and are provided with a specialized support program. This includes:
- An intensive welcome orientation with free excursions to top tourist destinations;
- International student parent meetings, with translators if required;
- Medical insurance;
- A pool of multilingual staff to provide assistance to students and parents;
- Discounted English As A Second Language courses for parents;
- Excursions throughout the school year for international students.
Burnaby elementary schools range in size from 100 to over 1,000 students. Each school is well-equipped with the latest technologies and have computer labs, library, music room, gymnasium and outdoor playing areas.
Average Class Size
Class size does not exceed 30; average class size is 23 to 26 students.
All of our teachers are certified by the BC Ministry of Education and many have won local and national awards for teaching excellence.
School Level Support for International Students
Schools provide a variety of support services for students:
- School counsellor;
- School nurse;
- Youth worker to ease integration;
- School meal program (in select schools)
- Before and After-School child care (in select schools).
Additional Academy & Activity Opportunities
In addition to the student’s regular academic program, students may participate in:
- Advanced Learning Program;
- French Immersion Program (in select schools);
- Learning Through The Arts Program (in select schools);
- Extracurricular activities (leadership, sports, music, etc.).
Study Starts Dates: September or January
International students may start their studies at an elementary school in September or late January.
Living Arrangements for Elementary Students
International education students in Kindergarten to Grade 5 must live with a parent while in Burnaby. Students in Grades 6 & 7 may live with a blood relative e.g. aunt, uncle, grandparent.