International Education Homestay
Langara College Homestay Program
The District refers homestay requests to the Langara College Homestay Program.
Students may choose to use another homestay agency but the District is not responsible for these arrangements.
- Students are to reside in Burnaby or along its borders.
- Students are to reside with an adult 25 years of age or older.
- Elementary students Grades Kindergarten – 5 are to reside with a parent.
- Elementary students in Grade 6 may reside with a relative (aunt, uncle, grandparent). Under special circumstances, Elementary students in Grade 7 may reside in an approved homestay.
- Parents/relatives who indicate that they will be residing with their child for the duration of the program must do so, or the student may be withdrawn from the program
Learn More About Our Homestay Programs
In all cases, students must be 13 years of age or older in order to be eligible for a homestay placement.
A large part of a student’s success in any of the programs is from living in a homestay. This includes the following:
- live with a Canadian family,
- practice their English on a daily basis in an immersion environment,
- learn about Canadian culture,
- have their own private bedroom but share the rest of the house with the family,
- are integrated into family life.
- Three meals a day are provided
- Lunch is taken to school to eat on school days
- The International Program and each family have its specific rules for international students living in a homestay, including a strict curfew
Distance from Schools
- Homestays are located within a short distance from the student’s’ school, whether by walking or taking public transit.