School Support for Students
Burnaby School District offers support students for all students, as well as specialized support for International Students including an International Student Liaison based at each school. Click on the tabs below to learn more!
School-based Support for All Students
Burnaby schools are very proud of the welcoming and supportive environment they have created for students. Our schools offer numerous support services. The following is a sample of some of the services students can take advantage of:
- student counselors;
- youth workers;
- community health nurses;
- career preparation and work experience counselors (secondary only);
- peer mentoring programs;
- after-school tutoring and homework programs; and
- pre-school childcare (at select elementary schools).
Specialized Support for International Students
For our international students, we have created a specialized support program to ensure their success, including:
- assistance through the application process;
- extensive international student orientation;
- Vice Principal of International at every secondary school:
- International Student Assistant (ISA) based at each school;
- homestay placement and health insurance;
- international student activities & excursions held throughout the year; to Whistler, Victoria, Rocky Mountains and more.
- pool of multilingual staff members to provide translation and cultural support;
- and student buddy program (at select schools).
We realize that support is also needed for parents of international students. We work to ensure that parents are kept informed of their child’s progress. We hold information nights for parents and custodians. Final report cards are forwarded home, and parents are encouraged to contact us to discuss their child’s program.
Higher Education Night
The Burnaby International Office organizes an event for its international students once a year where representatives from a variety of post-secondary institutions across Canada and the US present their programs.
Students have the opportunity to talk one-on-one to the representatives about application criteria and procedures, scholarships and other opportunities for further studies.
Our International Counsellor delivers a series of information sessions and workshops for our international students who are planning on studying at the post-secondary level.
- Applying to Canadian Universities,
- Applying to U.S. Universities,
- SAT Preparation,
- and more.