Population: 1,050 students
School Calendar: Semester
Start Dates: September & February
School Profile (PDF): Byrne Creek Secondary
Location Map (PDF): Byrne Creek Secondary
BEST KNOWN FOR
Welcoming student population; consistently ranked #1 for student satisfaction; Dance; Media Arts; Musical Theatre; Science
Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Drawing & Painting, English Literature, Psychology
Business and Information Technology, Media Arts Industry Training, Theatre Tech Program
Badminton, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-Country Running, Girls’ Field Hockey, Golf, Netball, Rugby, Soccer, Swimming, Table Tennis, Volleyball
RECENT SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Senior Boys and Girls Basketball
VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTS
One of the most diverse dance programs in BC, Animation, Ceramics, Choreography, Dance Company, Digital Sound Recording, Graphic Design/Arts, Photography, Theatre Company, Videography
Band, Chess, Choir, Community Volunteering, Library, Physics, Skiing, and many more
- Byrne Creek runs on a semester system which enables students to complete two years of a course in one year.
- Several recent graduates have won prestigious academic awards.
- As Burnaby ‘s newest secondary school, it features the latest in technology, including six computer labs and a computerized library.
- Two Apple computer labs support comprehensive Media Arts and Graphic Arts programs for students.
- For specific classes, students use laptop computers with wireless capability, allowing access to computer-based resources such as the internet without being limited to specific locations and equipment.
- The school’s outstanding Visual and Performing Arts Program includes Dance, Drama, Music and Visual Arts, including an extensive program in Media Arts.
- Byrne Creek boasts a Centre for Dialogue, a three-tiered, semicircular meeting space equipped with drop -down screens, microphones, cameras and computer access. The Centre allows students to participate in international presentations and global discussions.