Second Street Community Elementary School’s mission:
At Second Street Community School, we are committed to a respectful, joyful, and safe learning environment where we all strive to be our best.
We acknowledge and thank the Coast Salish Nations of Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish on whose traditional territories we teach, learn and live.
From the Principal’s Message:
Second Street School, a one-room clapboard building, opened its doors in 1913. In 1928, this original building was raised, had a basement added and was moved to the south-west corner of the lot where at this time it was used to store fire-fighting equipment for the community. In 1952 the building was moved to Robert Burnaby Park where it was used to hose machinery. During 1928, a brick building was constructed on the same site and it became the “new school”. In 1944, the first addition on the 16th Avenue side of the building was built and in 1956 the addition on the 17th Avenue side was completed. In 1999, a third addition was created extending toward 2nd Street, creating the current school as it stands today. The original school mission statement still stands true: ‘This school is a place where anyone may pursue life-long learning in a warm and caring environment’.