FAQs*: Study Permits

FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions
Click on any question to see the answer. Click again to hide the answer.

Do international students need a study permit?

International students planning to study for less than 6 months, ie. 1 semester only, do not require a study permit. International students planning to study for longer than 6 months do require a valid study permit. However, we recommend short-term students get a study permit in case they decide to extend their stay beyond 6 months.

How can I apply for a study permit?

You need to go through the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate’s Visa Office – www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student

What is the difference between a study permit and a visa? Do I need both?

A temporary resident or visitor visa (TRV) is an official document stamped in your passport that enables you to enter and exit Canada. Students from certain countries are required to apply for an Entry Visa before they enter Canada. Click on this link to see if you come from a Visa Waiver country – www.cic.gc.ca/. A study permit is an official document that allows a foreign passport holder to study in Canada for a limited time. In general, students planning to study in Canada for a period less than 6 months require a visa only. They do not require a study permit. Students planning to study in Canada for longer than 6 months require both a valid visa and a study permit.

Can I extend my study permit once I am in Canada?

Yes. Students can apply to renew/extend their study permit while they are in Canada.

Does the school help students renew/extend their study permits and/or visas?

No. Canadian law prohibits schools and school staff for directly assisting students with study permit renewal/extensions and/or visas unless the staff person has a Registered Immigration Consultant (RIC) designation.

What is a Registered Immigration Consultant (RIC)? Where can I find one?

A Registered Immigration Consultant refers to a Canadian citizen who is licenced by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) to provide advice on matters relating to immigration or citizenship and is able to charge a fee for these services. The easiest way to find an IRC is through the Immigration Consultants and Canada Regulatory Council’s website: http://iccrc-crcic.info/ or students already in a Burnaby school may ask their ISA for a list of local RICs. Burnaby cannot recommend any particular RIC.

Is there a fee to renew/extend my study permit?

Yes. The current fees for renewing a visa and study permit are $100 CDN and $150 CDN respectfully. Please check this link for updated fees – www.cic.gc.ca/. In cases where a student employs a Registered Immigration Consultant (RIC) to assist with the renewal of their visa or study permit in Canada, the fees for this service will vary depending on each individual RIC.

Why study in Burnaby?

With superior academic programs and modern facilities, all located within a city of vibrant green spaces, modern shopping malls, safe residential neighbourhoods, and state of the art public transit, choosing an education in Burnaby is the right choice.


Burnaby School District has one of the largest Advanced Placement (AP) programs in Canada.


Burnaby is located in the centre of Metro Vancouver. Its world-class SkyTrain public transit provides access to downtown Vancouver in just 30 minutes.


Burnaby schools feature modern facilities and state of the art technology.

SD41 Partners