FAQs*: University/Post Secondary Study

FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions
Click on any question to see the answer. Click again to hide the answer.

What do I need to graduate?

From  2019 September, international students are required to complete the following with a BC Certified teacher at a Ministry of Education accredited school:

  • English 11
  • English 12
  • Career Life Education
  • a Science 11 or 12
  • a Math 11 or 12
  • Social Studies 11 or 12
  • Career Life Connections

Students also need to write Numeracy and Literacy Assessment.

Will I receive credit towards graduation for the school work I have done in my home country?

Yes, credit for course work completed at a student’s school in his/her home country will be given whenever possible. Students must provide official school transcripts from their home schools.

Is the high school diploma accepted at universities in North America? Other countries?

The BC Dogwood Graduation diploma is recognized at universities throughout North America and in some countries around the world for post-secondary education entry.

What universities are international students accepted at upon graduating from the Burnaby School District?

All universities in North America, and some overseas, accept Burnaby School District International student graduates if they meet their specific admission requirements set by their institution.

What happens if a student cannot finish their graduation requirements on time?

International students who are unable to complete their graduation requirements before aging out from secondary school eligibility may continue to finish their requirements at summer school or with the Burnaby School District’s Adult Continuing Education Department.

Can students graduate in a year?

International students who are assessed to be at Grade Level (ELL Level 4) AND who have completed enough coursework in their home country schools AND who are able to complete the specific courses required by the Ministry of Education for International Students (English 11 AND 12, Social Studies 11 or 12, a Science 11 OR 12, a Math 11 OR 12, Career Life Education, and Career Life Connections) MAY be able to achieve graduation in one year but in most cases, students will need to finish off the final requirements by attending summer school or another semester, or take additional courses outside of regular school hours to satisfy all of the requirements for International student graduation.

Will the school help the student choose a university?

Each year, secondary school schools offer post-secondary institution fairs and information sessions with representatives from numerous BC and Canadian universities for students to access. Secondary school counsellors are available to answer students’ questions and queries and to direct them to the information they may be seeking. However, students should be proactive and choose 3-4 universities or colleges they are interested in before seeking more help from school counsellors.

Will the school help the student apply for university?

Yes, students can make appointments with their school counsellors to request assistance with completing their applications. Each year school counsellors provide information to students with regards to accessing post-secondary institution information regarding admissions and deadlines for submitting applications.

Why study in Burnaby?

With superior academic programs and modern facilities, all located within a city of vibrant green spaces, modern shopping malls, safe residential neighbourhoods, and state of the art public transit, choosing an education in Burnaby is the right choice.


Burnaby School District has one of the largest Advanced Placement (AP) programs in Canada.


Burnaby is located in the centre of Metro Vancouver. Its world-class SkyTrain public transit provides access to downtown Vancouver in just 30 minutes.


Burnaby schools feature modern facilities and state of the art technology.

SD41 Partners